Oct 19, 2007

Technical/Community Colleges versus 4 Year Colleges

I think the answer has always been one sided. The 4 year over the community college. Many parents don't want their children going to a two year school and many teens see two year schools as being a school for under achievers. Both are wrong.

If you are a student and are quite sure you would like to stay in your state then visit a two year community college that is close by. See if the credits transfer over to 4 year colleges. See what programs they have. Community colleges often have a broader type of associate degree programs than some colleges which are more focused in specific areas.

I went to a local technical college part time in my senior year of high school and found the environment great. Having also been to a 4 year college now I can say two year colleges give their students an equal education and the class sizes are smaller. I was able to finish a semester of credits while I was there that I selected to transfer when I went to a 4 year college. I won't even mention how much money I could have saved by finishing two semesters that would transfer.

Basically, research your options for yourself before going along with what your friends or parents might be saying. By the way it is 100% possible to get an early start with technical colleges. Before you graduate take a look at what they have to offer over the summer. Take a couple of courses. Don't think your education starts and ends somewhere. Community college acted like a stepping stone for me to jump into a major university with a head start.

No comments: