Nov 13, 2007

What to Do if College isn't Right for You or if You Don't Like it

Sometimes college isn't what everyone expected. I did not expect college to be so much like the high school I had gone to in the first 2 years.

Keep in mind that how you feel now may change within the semester or by next semester. You might just be having difficulty adjusting to college life, especially if you're living on campus.

If that's not the case then ask yourself a few questions:

What career do I want and does the college offer a degree in it which would help my chances in getting a job in it?
If the college is offering a degree in the specific career area you want then not sticking with college shouldn't be an option for you. You're going to want/need a degree when you aren't able to make it into the career without one. Ask yourself why you don't enjoy college and come up with some solutions. I didn't enjoy college in my first semester because I was taking 5 courses when I knew I should have taken 7 to get going faster.

Would I enjoy the experience at a different college?
Maybe the college you are going to is in the middle of no wheres and you can't find anyone you relate to. Start thinking about transferring and getting the paperwork set up before next semester. Maybe your friends went to a different college than you. Think about if it would make the difference to have some friends that you knew from high school. Most often teachers, parents, college recruiters will recommend you carve your own path and discourage you to go to the same college as your friends. Don't listen to them. Going into college with some friends can be great and it's not like you won't be making new friends while you're there.

Could I get started with my career in a 2 year degree school or community college?
What career are you going into? Local community and technical schools can launch you in a specific program that are more than often very helpful in getting you experience in that field. Community and tech schools can also get you ready for a 4 year university by offering courses that transfer into a 4 year program. You could even get started in high school with some dual credit programs. Awarding college credits and high school credits.

Do I have connections to get started in the field I want now?
If you already have relatives who are doing what you would like to do then ask yourself if you think they might be able to get the door open for you. More than often you will be starting with a relatively low position unless you have high connections. Consider this and going to school part time. You will be getting experience which would look good on a resume or would look good within the company that you are going to school.

No comments: